Nothing Teaches HOPE, KINDNESS, COURAGE, & COMPASSION Like Helping Others!
The Youth Empowerment Program of Puppetry Arts (YEP!) is an arts- and civics-based youth development program for students ages 10-18 that empowers them to be stronger, proactive, and responsible citizens while building interactive relationships with each other and the community. Visit puppetryarts.org for more information.
- Alley Pond Environmental Center engages volunteers in community service through assistance with animal care, outside work, educational programs, and special events. Contact the volunteer coordinator Kameesha at 718-229-4000 x202 for volunteer opportunities, or visit alleypond.com for more information.
- Queens Botanical Garden offers a variety of volunteer opportunities for adults and teens ages 14 and older. For general volunteer opportunities, download the volunteer application online at queensbotanical.org or contact Grisela Quiles at 718-886-3800 x203 or email@example.com.
At local nursing homes, hospitals, and rehabilitation centers, an afternoon of your time can make all the difference to someone. Volunteers can just sit and chat with residents or organize a fun activity. For volunteer opportunities at the Steve and Alexandra Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York, apply online atnorthshorelij.com/ccmcny Contact Maxine Legall, coordinator of volunteer services, at 718-470-3258, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lend a Hand at the Stable
Kids 16 and older can get involved with GallopNYC, which brings the benefits of therapeutic horseback riding to kids and adults with developmental, emotional, social, and physical challenges. Sign up to volunteer at gallopnyc.org/volunteer or contact Ellen Dry at 917-727-1241 or email@example.com.
Serve Your Community
The American Red Cross provides relief to individuals affected by disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for, & respond to emergencies. Parents and kids age 13 and older can help with mailings, hand out flyers at fundraising walks, & help with fundraising events.For more information or to fill out the online volunteer application, or call the Queens branch of the Red Cross is located at 138-02 Queens Blvd., Briarwood; 718-558-0053.
Spring Clean Your Closet
Enlist your kids in the process of cleaning out their closets. It can even turn into a fashion show to see what still fits. Take your kids with you when you donate the clothes so they can see the good their efforts are doing. Check with our local Salvation Army Queens thrift store for instructions on donating clothes:
- 148-15 Archer Ave., Jamaica; 718-523-4648
- 34-02 Steinway St., Astoria; 718-472-2414
- 39-11 61st St., Flushing; 718-458-1526
Walking together for a cause can bring your family closer together while supporting a worthy organization. It’s also a great way to get outdoors, add exercise, and make new friends.
Here are just a few to check out:
- Autism Speaks - www.walknowforautismspeaks.org
- Easter Seals raises money for children with special needs and their families through "Walk with Me" - ny.easterseals.com
- The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network's (FAAN) Walk for Food Allergy- www.foodallergywalk.org
- The American Lung Association's Fight for Air Walk- www.lungusa.org/donate/events/lung-walk
- The Pediatric Cancer Foundation's annual Give Hope Walk - www.pcfwalk.org
- Great Strides - Taking Steps to Cure Cystic Fibrosis - www.cff.org/great_strides
- Kids for a Better Future - www.kidsforabetterfuture.org
- Kids Walk to Cure Diabetes - jdrfkidswalk.donordrive.com
- Kids Walk for Kids with Cancer - www.kidswalkforkidswithcancer.org
- March for Babies - www.marchforbabies.org
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Walks - www.namiwalks.org
- National Down Syndrome Society Buddy Walk - www.buddywalk.org
- National Eating Disorders Awareness Walk- www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/programs-events/nedawareness-week-walk.php
- The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention's Out of the Darkness Community Walks - www.outofthedarkness.org
- In support of the American Cancer Society; Relay for Life - relayforlife.org
- St. Jude Give Thanks Walk donates all proceeds to fighting childhood cancer. - www.stjude.org