Staring #SargentoUltraThin Cheese!
See the problem is no matter how hard I've tried...and boy have I tried...I could never recreate that amazing mouth watering rollatini at home! Until last week...
((FYI: Just know that there is about a 1,001 variations to this recipe and it could be stuffed with virtually anything. My favorite is prosciutto & muzzarella cheese or alternatively ham & provolone cheese.
So here goes....
For the Chicken Rollatini you need:
- a pack of thin chicken cutlets
- prepackage or deli cut ham or prosciutto (My personal favorite, Prosciutto di Parma sliced 4 oz. by Gourmet-Food)
- prepackage shredded muzzarella or thin provolone cheese (My personal favorite prepackaged cheese is anything from the Sargento Cheese Family)
- PAMPERED CHEF SMALL RIDGED BAKER #1342 - NEW OUT 2011 - 9 X 6 3/4 X 1 3/4
For the Mushroom Brown Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion (I prefer sweet yellow or shallots)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional (I prefer Kitchen Bouquet Browning & Seasoning Sauce)
Now Let's Put It All Together!
- In a medium to large frying pan, add canola oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, onions and butter
- Saute until vegetables are tender
- Add the flour, garlic salt and pepper; gradually stir in broth until smooth.
- Add browning sauce if desired. (recommended to give it that nice brown color)
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Lay the chicken cutlet flat on your work surface.
- Place one slice of prosciutto or ham.
- Place one slice of provolone or shredded muzzarella. (If the slice of meat is wider than the cutlet I fold it over on the side so they are more or less the same width. This also helps hold the cheese in. Bonus!)
- Roll the cutlet and use toothpicks to secure it closed. Place the seam on the bottom of your pan.
- Place the rolled chicken cutlets in a ridged baker. (I prefer a ridged baker over a bake pan because I want my chicken to bake with the mushroom sauce not drown in there!)
- Pour the mushroom brown sauce over the chicken and place in the oven, uncover, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.